The other day I was eating dinner with one of my best friends and we got to talking about relationships...new friends and old friends... how different they can be and how there are some people you have known for years...they know your past and your family and what you have been through to get where you are today. Sometimes you need these people to talk to because they "get you" a little more than say the person you met 2 years ago... you can talk to them about things because they understand on a deeper level...
And then we started talking about how the people we meet from now on aren't going to know all of those things... they won't know your stories...when you were at your highest and lowest points... when you were crumbling and when you were picking up the pieces for someone else... there is something kind of cool and kind of terrifying about that... thinking about the fact that who you marry, who could become your best friend is someone who only knows a glimpse of who you really are...in be beginning at least... relying on stories, and pictures maybe, and nice long heart-to-hearts about the stuff that makes you, you... It's not really a new concept-we have had to do that for every new friend obviously... but for some reason, to me anyways, the closer I get to the end of college, the more foreign it feels...
And it goes both ways... you won't know anything about him or her either...you won't know how they were raised or what they think or believe about little things...
Sometimes I walk around campus and I suddenly realize how many people there are at this school, and how small my "bubble" is... just when I think I "know" a lot of people, I will go a week never running into someone I know... and I will walk by hundreds of people...
have you ever thought about how many different people you come in contact with every single day?... all have a story, a past...someone out there knows them. They know their story and they care for them... or at least my constant prayer is that they do...
and then I am undoubtedly overwhelmed with thankfulness for all of the people I have in my life who care for me and love me... and all the people that I love and care for. I'm not sure where I would be without them... some of my best friends I have known for 2 years...3 years...and then others 8, 10, 12... all complete blessings and so comforting for different reasons...
People fascinate me. Relationships fascinate me... the complexity within each individual is completely overwhelming just in itself... but this year under unfortunate circumstances I have received the humbling gift of feeling a lot of love from a lot of people... nothing is more precious... nothing is more special... and I'll never take any of that for granted...

love you katie haines :)
ReplyDelete