"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

8.08.2010

Cold Tangerines

I love to read. At the beginning of the summer I was a reading machine. Unfortunately the fun side of the machine has had to be shut off to make room for Hobbes and Plato and Marx... yeah. Cool summer reads, right?
Anyways, I have this nice little stack of what I like to call "beach reads" that have seemed to find their home in the back of my shelf... but I pulled them out today. Bad idea when I have my last final in two days? Probably. But nonetheless I just spent the last thirty minutes reading a little more of Cold Tangerines.
I have had this book for several months but it is one of those books you can pick up and put down easily over time...chapters are more like individual stories. But I like this because it is all about simple things in life that you only really notice if you think about it or pay a little more attention to details of things. All stories of the author's life... tidbits, memories... honestly the entire book could be a series of blog posts...just placed in hardback form.
Without a doubt though, when I finish a chapter, I am left smiling. Tonight I read Pennies. She rambles about pennies and how she loves them and collects them... She says that as soon as she started collecting pennies she would find them everywhere... but then it gets pretty cool...

"Each one of our lives is shot through, threaded in and out with God's provision, his grace, his protection, but on the average day, we notice it about as much as we really notice gravity or the hole in the ozone. So what I am trying to do is learn to see the way Sister Carmen sees. Because once you start seeing the faithfulness and the hope, you see it everywhere. Like pennies. And little by little, here and there, you realize that all of life is littered with bright copper coins, that all of life is woven with bits and stories of God's goodness."

God's goodness is everywhere, you know. Just like those pennies that never seem to go away... God doesn't either.
Pick up the book next time you are at Barnes and Noble... you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. What a great thought Katie! I think I'm going to have to add this to my beach read list! Being a beach resident, I'm running through that list pretty quickly :)

    ReplyDelete