"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

9.08.2010

This place is incredible

Today I wanted to write about the crazy Tuesday September 7th ended up being. I wanted to talk about the tornado code maroon that kept us in the basement of our building for thirty minutes. I wanted to talk about how excited I was to finally learn what school and classroom I will be spending the semester shadowing. Or about how my friends make me laugh and keep me on my toes... how I know I take my time for granted, and the fact that I'm surrounded by such fantastic people is so precious, so rare... but all of these things took a back seat in my brain when I found myself at Silver Taps standing silent and still in the pouring rain...surrounded by dozens of Aggies doing the same thing... paying their respects to the ones we lost this month.
I regret not going to more in the past...not making it something I always do... and to be honest I don't even remember the last time I went. But I always remember how it makes me feel. How it is unlike any other experience I have had and how I always feel closer to God... and tonight was no different.
I think it is the silence that gets me every time... the silence and how everyone in attendance has paused their lives to pay respect to someone they probably didn't know. The silence forces you to put things into perspective. It forces you to remember how precious life is and how quickly it can all go away. And I am always struck by the fact that it could so easily be someone I know...someone I love.
As the rain came down and I stood their with my head down in prayer... the simple beauty of all of it left me just about breathless... my heart burst with pride in this school and this community that I have fallen so deeply in love with...my heart broke for the families and students that won't get to finish their time here... and I questioned what makes me any different from that student...I feel God there every time... can't even help but feel His presence holding us there washing us with the rain and all of His grace.
Today I wanted to write about this amazing picture... and how I think rainbows are just about as brilliant as the sun setting and rising...


But I am left with too much pride and love for A&M and everything it has brought to my life. It is the bigger thing that I am a small part of... and tonight I was forced to feel small again... forced to remember that September 7th was a gift... it was fantastic, but I hadn't given credit to the right person... nothing on this earth is in my hands and I am getting in bed tonight completely thankful and yet still fascinated by that truth.

4 comments:

  1. Our God is absolutely awesome!

    And I've been so blessed by A&M.

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie I felt this way at every Silver Taps. What a fantastic picture! I got chills seeing this perfect image.

    At every Silver Taps I found myself asking the same thing in my conversation with God...why me? Why them? Why now? Somehow, the silence and stillness in me was all the answer I needed.

    This made me miss Aggieland EVEN more

    ReplyDelete