"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

6.20.2010

God Bless John Wayne

I just can't help but try and share all of the details that happened this Friday... with Shelby in town for only one night and really just a few hours, we quickly realized that the necessary College Station stops were crucial to somehow fit into our evening. With a little creativity we were able to come up with a plan--destined to be a night of fun.
On the way to our first stop I was incredibly amused by this bumper sticker...

"God Bless John Wayne"

Having never seen a bumper sticker like this particular one, I was really excited and got a little help from Kaitlyn to document the moment. Content with the image I got on my phone, still amused, I turn and to my surprise see a second truck, two lanes over with a similar bummer sticker reading the same thing! What are the odds!? Two trucks, at the same light, "God Bless John Wayne"... I know what you are thinking, it's College Station... its A&M... surely there are plenty of trucks with John Wayne posted on the back?... but I'm telling you, I have lived in this town three years and my first spotting involved 2 trucks... unreal!

Our first stop was of course, Spoons. This stop only made sense placed at the beginning of our evening, but don't worry... we were stingy with our servings making sure not to ruin our meals to come.

Our second stop was Bed Bath and Beyond... I purchased a vacuum cleaner and Shelby got a gift for a wedding shower. This trip involved Shelby chatting it up with her ex employers and co-workers, Kelsey and I looking at cool kitchen pop out thingys, making an employee laugh by saying "someone should get married so we can get all this cool stuff", and then scaring the girl who checked us out when I gasped realizing I had forgotten to give her my coupon.... yep, that happened.

Next, we went the movie theatre to purchase our Toy Story 3 tickets in advance... you just can't mess around with opening day crowds... and with plenty of time to kill, we felt good about our decision.

Then it was off to PotBelly's because although Shelby wanted some alcohol, the sandwich was what she was really missing... She got her sandwich to-go and we headed to La Bodega...

This dining experience was one to remember... from getting water spilled all over the table by the waiter, to drinking 3 shakers and a Margarita between the four of us... the conversation was as memorable as the fact that we were sweating in our booth... thinking that the air MUST be broken...fortunately we were unconcerned with appearances as well as anything else for this night in our Nike shorts and t-shirts and became incredibly excited about the fact that Toy Story was going to be even better with a little alcohol in us...


Plenty of laughs and one free queso later, we were on our way to, you guessed it, Speedy Stop... why we went here first I'm not really sure... to get water? Shelby was for sure our main source of entertainment for the next couple of hours :)
Jamming out to California Girls, Justin Bieber, and Wavin' Flag, we picked up Kate and headed to the movies...


Toy Story was epic... Kelsey and Kate said "forget that" to the line... the secret to how we got the best seats in the place will never be told... we ran into a few more friends, were joined by a couple more, and settled in to enjoy the brilliance of Disney Pixar... never a let down...A couple of us may or may not have even teared up towards the end...

Great friends, lots of love and laughter, and plenty of memories... the night was perfect. Getting to spend time with Shelbs is such a special treat since her married self resides in San Antonio now and I am pretty positive that our ridiculous shenanigans didn't fail to make her trip worth while.

You can never go wrong with nights like these... I'm pretty convinced that you could place all of us in any situation, in any town, and we would make our own fun, just laughing the night away. Can't take friends like that for granted... Here's to simple, eventful nights like these, and resting easy knowing that more are sure to come!

1 comment: