"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

"Let love be your highest goal!" 1 Corinthians 14-1

6.06.2010

title clarification

Today...there being little to report about my weekend... I decided I would begin to explain the reasoning behind my blog title. If you know me, even just a little, you probably already have a strong understanding of my love for crushed ice, yellow flowers, and laughter... but just for kicks I thought I would elaborate... who doesn't like talking about things they love anyways? So on this hot and incredibly muggy day, crushed ice seemed to be the perfect topic of conversation for this day...
Crushed Ice... A luxury in life really... I have no idea why such a small, simple thing has the effect it does on me. I become happy instantly when learning that wherever I have chosen to stop for a Diet Coke, or have lunch, has crushed ice as an option--or better yet, it's the only option!--on this rare occasion I know that whoever is in charge of this fine establishment understands the pure joy that comes from your ice being a little smaller and a little more finely chopped...
The slushier the better... whether it be Diet Coke, lemonade, or even just water... nothing is better!
Now I will admit... my relationship with crushed ice was probably introduced by the geniuses as Sonic--who have done nothing but perfect and improve their drinks and slush over the years. But the real culprits of my...you could say, addiction.. would have to be JD's Chippery in Dallas, and Speedy Stop in College Station....

JD's Chippery... famous for their cookies and muffins... even more famous for their beverages. Whatever your wish, Coke, Dr. Pepper... lemonade, limeade, cherry, vanilla, tea... you got it--crushed ice. Busiest in the mornings and from the time school gets out until close, this local gem is a hoppin place, frequented by anybody delighted by a great big soft drink and an occasional cookie to go... and any high school senior who has an English teacher who lets them leave in the middle of the day "to go to the library"... ;)
Yes, my most frequented place in College Station is a gas station.
I will never forget Kenzie running into our dorm room Freshman year, "Guys! I found the most amazing place! They have Diet Coke and all kinds of drinks and the 32oz is only 64cents! AND! They have CRUSHED ICE! It's called Speedy Stop!" after this exciting announcement I remember we piled into Kenzie's car and were surprised, but not disappointed, by the fact that Kenz had failed to mention this new and exciting place was the Chevron at Texas and Harvey. We bought our drinks and well... the rest is history... This image can be seen in my hand, in my car or on my desk on too regular of a basis... that is how happy it makes me.

I know that I have been rambling on and on about the crushed ice thing like it's my long lost love--but the truth of the matter is, that whenever I do stop to get one of these drinks, it never fails to become the highlight of my day...and no it's really not about the ice...it's about the company that I have when I get "speedy stop?" text messages at 10:30 in the morning or 10:30 at night... it's getting out of the house or the library and rolling my windows down... jamming out to anything from George Strait to Justin Bieber... It is the break in the day... the little reward for getting something done...or the needed conversation that happens in the car on the way and on the way back... there is just something about going to get the Coke that makes it... the crushed ice is just the bonus... the excuse for going when really we could buy a whole box of cans to have at the house when we want one...the reason for going is a little more than that.

So there ya have it... my explanation for a part of my blog title... :)

1 comment:

  1. haha I REMEMBER THAT!!! ellen showed it to me and i've never been the same...

    ReplyDelete